Monday, October 13, 2008

Tax Breaks

The first thing I have to address is an article in the New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/us/12incentives.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&sq=pitt&st=cse&scp=1&adxnnlx=1223841758-yuuojxrImIE0G4ekgtJKrw"

It talks of the tax breaks that state gives for films. NYT seems to be against this in the sense of how much taxplayers are going to be giving up to bail out wallstreet, but let me explain how tax breaks for films from the states are a GOOD thing. First of all, it's super expensive to make movies. Even a good independent film these days cost millions of dollars to make. California has gotten way too expensive for these independent films to film and compete in. Same with NYC. Now, if you go to Michigan - you get a 40% tax break, so it's cheaper to make the films. You can either take a loan out with that and use it to make your budget more money, or you can save that money so instead of spending all that money, you save some of it. It lowers costs or you can get more for your money. In return, you film your movie there and create jobs. You hire extras. You hire catering. You hire people from local areas. You bring a cast and crew that you pay to stay in hotels. It's CLEARLY a good thing for their economy. They get more tourism and attention. It's not just the glamour of films. It's what films can do for even a small town. Pennsylvania has a 25% tax break. NYC is only 5%. Even Connecticut is 35% I believe, so it's cheaper to just drive across the state boarder and film there and film exterior shots for NYC and pretend. Overall, it's an excellent thing. I'd hate to see that go away because then, we would be filming more indie films in Canada and losing those jobs.

On Friday, I heard the producer of Day Zero - Anthony Moody speak and he was really great. He talked a little about these tax breaks which makes a producers job so much easier. It's so hard to make a movie, so we really need theses. Moody really talked about about film and the industry and producing in general and I really learned a whole lot. I felt so much more inspired and I never for a second doubt that I'm pursuing the right career for myself. Sure, I've doubted myself and my chances - everyday, but I've never doubted what I love and believe in.

1 comment:

Something Jenna-ish said...

tax breaks are great. i mean who doesn't love em. I know republicans sure do. haha...don't worry i'm not trying to push political buttons but i understand what you're saying. it's important to have some financial freedom during the creative process. the problem lies in where does money come from? i don't know. and tax break implies that you receive money back and then don't have to pay it back. considering how much a typical movie grosses, i think i'd rather see movie makers aide in the bank industry and take out loans...because more likely then not after the movie comes out their costs should be able to be paid back. banks are going under because so many people are defaulting on their loans and messing up the system. banks need strong investors. banks need movies.