Thursday, June 19, 2008

It is my sprit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal - as we are

I've been thinking of how I see things with a passion for life. I feel like seizing moments, but I don't have any moments to seize. It's the tragedy of my story. I view the culture of music, film and books with awe. I don't know how a person can just create out of thin air. I admire stories and words. I think that's why I love these things more than anything. I mean, to say something, a great quote or line. To describe a feeling that's indescribable, that's worth something. I mean, a picture or a metaphor, you can interpret that. Don't get me wrong, art is wonderful because you can interpret anything. But to say something exactly how you mean - it's like cutting air.

Maybe lately, I've been surrounding myself with these things that make me realize how much beauty there is with words. I've been reading Jane Eyre and I love it. I never found myself reading "classics" typically before. I never saw myself as someone to relate to something from the 1800s but there's so much beauty in the tale. Words weren't written so beautiful before. So much passion and love went into this novel. It was harder then to write a manuscript, I'm sure of. The time and labor paid off. Each word, literally feels perfectly chosen. Like it was meant to be there. I admire it wholeheartedly for it's language. I think I need to use more adjectives in my sentences or something.

I picked up the new coldplay cd and I've been listening to it nonstop. The only other thing I've been listening to is the other Coldplay albums to compare. I mean, the music in this one is brilliant. I think my most listened to song on the album is "Life in Technicolor" which is completely instrumental. However, I find that their lyrics are some of the most beautiful words ever sung. It just makes me feel good inside.

I mean, back to words- words - you have to imagine the beauty when you read them. I honestly think they're the most powerful force in the world. They tell a story with everything. Everything has a title or a name. No matter what you ever look at or ever see or hear or feel. You always - ALWAYS - use words to depict it. That makes all the difference.

You see the world in black and white
No colour or light
You think you'll never get it right
But you're wrong... you might

1 comment:

Something Jenna-ish said...

how astunishing. making up words is fun too, but i'm pretty sure i stole that from will ferrell in a very b-rated movie. today's society has definitely lost a lot of the beauty that was in old english type writing but we have created our own language in many ways which isn't necessarily bad-just different and one of the reasons i'm so drawn to certain rap lyricists. it's not just the words but the flow, and the way they say them all wrapped up together.