Thursday, November 6, 2008

Yes We Can

"Rosa Parks sat so Martin Luther King could walk. Martin Luther King walked so Obama could run. Obama's running so we can all fly." - Jay-Z


Obama won! I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said or how I can add to the popular opinion of this great man. I look forward to the future. I don't know what's gonna happen, but I feel a little bit better than someone I voted for is in office. When Obama won, my roommates and I went out onto Broad Street and marched to City Hall (again for the third time this week). Apparently Philadelphia is becoming a city of riots. Maybe because we're so passionate, but it felt good to be out there.

When I got to Center City, it was drizzling a little bit and Obama had come on the radio for his speech. Someone had their car doors and windows wide open blasting it as loud as possible. A very rowdy crowd soon becamse hush as we let this man's voice take us over. There I was standing in the heart of Philadelphia with hundreds of strangers listening to the voice of hope and future and history. I saw two african american girls holding each other for warmth with tears coming down their eyes. I could see how important it felt for them. But a few people over, I literally saw a white man with tears in his eyes. Obama stands for more than just one race, but for all races and all types of people and all kinds of hope. People have come a long way. This presidental race proved it. I felt so lucky to be able to just have my small vote be a part of it.

1 comment:

Something Jenna-ish said...

i'm happy about obama too. i think it's inspiring and shows that we as a people have finally left some of our prejudices behind. standing at the polls where everyone is equal, ballots were cast, and votes that screamed change were heard.