Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Under Pressure

I need to really start updating this thing if I'm going to continue on with the whole "blogging" universe. I don't really have much to share. Apple is coming along right now. We're in a millionth rewrite, but we did have a test shoot for that. I haven't seen the footage yet, but hopefully it looks good - and if not, then we'll make it better. It's hard to believe it's almost the end of another semester. I can't believe how far I feel I've come. Two short screenplays written and one in production. It's exciting. Next semester isn't going to be the same. I'm going to really miss this creative flow and energy going on. But I suppose it's up to me to keep it going. I think I will. I feel like film just flows through me. Like a take-up spool or something (FILM REFERENCE!)

So, the film world - some crazy stuff going on in it. Basically Indepedent Film is dead if you haven't noticed. Many "indie" studios have folded - such as Warner Classic and Paramount Vantage. Last year there were 12, this year there were 6. Part of it may have to do with the economy. It's hard to believe Paramount Vantage - a company that brought on No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood from last year is gone now. Those were like the two best films. But it's changing. It's exciting to know its changing and that by the time I get out there I'll have to make up a new form, but it is. Christine Vachon, who is one of the writers of our producing textbook and a very successul producer with her own company - Killer Films is like the Indie Queen. She's done small stuff like Kids and Swoon but then slightly bigger films with I'm Not There which company partner Todd Haynes (who is brilliant, just wanna put that out there). Anyway, she's the Indie Queen since the 90s. We have based all of our knowledge to how to be a successful Independent film producer from her and she just SOLD HALF of her company so she could make 40-60 million dollar picture films. Woah! This all happened in the past week. It's nuts. Like everything we learned just went out the window. I just think it's interesting because clearly there might be a new indie movement. Miramax sorta killed it and Fox Searchlight definitly put the stake in its heart. Someone who said they were only gonna make independent films now sees the movement is time where "indie" is dead. I'm sure it will come back eventually. Not in the same form, but something else will amerge. It always does. Maybe I'll have to make Mumble Movies in Brooklyn if thats what it takes...
He
SO....In other exciting news. Tim Burton fascinates me. Here's a director who can single handly take his vision and beat you over the head with it while destroying your childhood. Don't get me wrong. This man has made some great movies - Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Mars Attacks...Hell I'll even give him Big Fish.

With that said, anything he's done this decade (give or take Big Fish) has been a remake or an adaptation. He's a guy who literally made a brand of himself which he markets to Hot Topic Tweens. Whether or not he's doing it himself, somehow his style has caught on. No other director has a mainstream cult following like he does. I mean, sure everyone can obsess about QT or Speilberg or Wes Anderson but they're not making t-shirts and bedding out of it. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - unnecessary. Sweeney Todd - flat. Corpse Bride - awful. I'm sorry if you may disagree but it's true. Anyway, he's raping - ahem, remaking Alice in Wonderland. Sure on paper he sounds PERFECT for the job. In a way he's brilliant because he makes me want to see what he'll do with it out of pure curiosity...but thats the thing. I know already what he's going to do with it. He casted ALL the people we have already expected him to. Depp, Carter, Rickman, Lee...no surprise there. The same people. I called Depp as Madhatter before Depp was even cast. I knew what he was gonna do before he even did it. The only person I'm intrigued about is Anne Hathaway because she doesn't really fit in the universe. Anyway, I'm trying not to hate too hard. I always see his films and give him the benefit of the doubt and I'll do the same for Alice...but I'm can't get excited about this right now.

So here's Depp apparently in his Madhatters costume:



Looks weird...but about the same. In a way, it's something you would never expect. It's different...but it fits in the Burton universe. It seriously looks like if Edward Scissorhands meets Willy Wonka. Throw in a little David Bowie. Sure it's interesting but it doesn't feel fresh anymore. We'll see.

1 comment:

Something Jenna-ish said...

sweet post. that's real interesting about all the independent film cos going under. i didn't realize. i definitely blame the economy...it's like everyone's finally admitting they're out of money and going to drastic measures to keep their heads above water...including selling off businesses that were churning out some pretty good films. more stuff will be closing doors too if things don't improve. i don't see how expensive retailers are going to stay in business and even electronic stores. crap is becoming cheaper and more accessible online. (oh and check mcall from today to see some of the people the obmaminator hired)

i remember seeing kids in best buy with you for like a few bucks last year and contemplating it as a blind buy, however didn't because i think me and you had already purchased about 20 movies that day...same day we got irobot for the cover i think. i would like to read more about vachon for sure.

as far as big fish goes, i still think you need to test the waters again. it's a really decent and dare i say good movie with an interesting story. i watched edward scissorhands with the bro again recently because he and i have renewed our love in that picture. it's so good merely because it was a fresh and new thing. depp is overplayed. i think he needs to step out of the spotlight for a while so that i can miss him a little. i one hundred percent agree with "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - unnecessary. Sweeney Todd - flat. Corpse Bride - awful." you nailed that. so true. and we'll see is right about this alice in wonderland adventure. it could be interesting who knows. i was just talking to my mom the other day about how the disney channel used to be so special since when we were younger we didn't have it, and would get special preview weeks. my favorite show was this alice in wonderland one where at the beginning of the show the girl would jump into her mirror and hang out with the queen of hearts, the mad hatter, etc. i'm gonna have to youtube it, but i loved it. i don't really know if it would make a good movie but it was definitely a good show at the time. hopefully i won't watch it now and think that it sucks. hmm so what's the moral in all this mumbo jumbo...fresh ideas are best! stay fresh.