Monday, May 12, 2008

Goodbye to North Philadelphia.

One more day and I'll be done.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy to say your just "done". There's a lot to say goodbye to. I'm going to have my own house in this city next time I live here. I'll be an official resident. I'll have to meet the neighbors, as my mom puts it, "so they will know to murder me first."

I'll take a lot of things from Philadelphia with me back home. One of them is going to be this nasty cough and no voice I've been carrying around with me for days. I go to the doctors today and the nurse doesn't know what to do with me so she takes me to the head doctor, who seems to be completely amazed at my medical history. It was kinda funny. They looked at me like I was a medical marvel but they could not solve the mystery of my whooping cough. So, apparently cough drops and nyquil will have to just solve all my problems for now. My mom told me this funny story where she didn't warn this nurse about my medical history when she went to look at me or look at an X-ray or something and my mom said she completely freaked out and started screaming "This baby has been cut in half!!!" Well duh, I had open heart surgery. They had to cut me open. But it's fun when I go to the doctors. I'm a little bit more special than the rest of you.

So, I have two finals I have not studied for yet. And my dad and I have to load up everything I have here and then we're stopping by my house before I head home tomorrow night. Long day indeed. I haven't packed so much as a toothbrush yet. So much for enjoying my last day here! It's just ironic when you need a minute to breathe and be nostalgic - but you don't have time because you gotta pack your shit up. It don't matter. By the time I'm unpacked at home, I'll be on a plane heading for California.

2 comments:

Something Jenna-ish said...

a. your mom is a cult band
2. i did not read your entry

bye.

Something Jenna-ish said...

Whooping cough — known medically as pertussis — is a highly contagious respiratory tract infection. Although it initially resembles an ordinary cold, whooping cough may eventually turn more serious, particularly in infants. In the more advanced stages, it's marked by the symptom that gives the disease its name: a severe, hacking cough followed by a high-pitched intake of breath that sounds like "whoop."

In the first half of the 20th century, whooping cough was a leading cause of childhood illness and death in the United States. But after the introduction of a vaccine in the 1940s, the number of cases gradually declined, reaching a low in the 1980s.

Since then, however, the incidence of whooping cough has been increasing, primarily among children too young to have completed the full course of vaccinations and teenagers whose immunity has faded.

With proper care, most teenagers and adults recover from whooping cough without complications. Whooping cough is more serious in children, especially infants younger than 6 months of age.