Saturday, April 26, 2008

These things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world... and then we fucked up the endgame

Someone outside my window is making noises that remind me of when Judge Doom turns into a cartoon during Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Creepy stuff from my childhood. I love that movie now, but I remember being like 3 years old and being so freaked out by that part. Even now, it stuff haunts me a little bit. I can't wait until I have children to scar for life like my parents did to me.

Speaking of movies, I just recently watched Charlie Wilson's War and I was surprised by how good it was. Not necessarily the movie as a whole - it had a bunch of great people working on it, so you know it's gonna be solid. Especially a script by Aaron Sorkin and direction by Mike Nichols. But the man who was Charlie Wilson completely fascinating. I mean, he took a budget from 5 million dollars to 1 billion dollars in less than a decade. I just fell in love with what he did. It's very ironic as well for our times and what he did to bring down the Soviet Union and the current state of Afghanistan. I love movies that make me want to learn. Also, Phillip Seymour Hoffman I could watch in anything. I plan on checking out Charlie Wilson's book when I'm done with school. I really want to read it now.

'There's a little boy and on his 14th birthday he gets a horse... and everybody in the village says, "how wonderful. the boy got a horse" And the Zen master says, "we'll see." Two years later The boy falls off the horse, breaks his leg, and everybody in the village says, "how terrible." And the Zen master says, "We'll see." Then a war breaks out and all the young men have to go off and fight... except the boy can't cause his legs messed up. and everyone in the village says, "How wonderful." '