Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It's like rain on your wedding day...

Today is considered one of the biggest days on campus. It's called Spring Fling and basically, a big fair of events and music all throughout campus. What it really is, a day where everyone skips classes and gets trashed starting at noon. I was standing on the corner this morning and it was 9:30 and this guy walks by on his way to class stumbling and laughing saying, "I'm not drunk yet" when he clearly was. It's just an interesting thing to see. What the real irony that I love about Spring Fling at Temple is after it's over. It gets so crowded, it takes an extra 20 minutes to get to class because you literally can't get from point A to point B without massive amounts of people in front of you standing around. After it's all over and the music stops and everyone goes home, I was walking through campus, the amount of trash left over is sickly. What's most ironic is that the whole reason Spring Fling actually goes on is to recycle and speak out about the environment. When it's said and done, I've never seen so much trash and dirt before. It's a beautiful thing how we destroy the things we set out to do.

In my Intellectual Heritage II class today, we were reading Gandhi and my teacher asks us how we could apply Gandhi's passive philosophy to modern day and this girl raises her hand and says that we could use it to legalize marijuana by all smoking it so that they would have to legalize it. I really don't know why I bother going sometimes. I'm sure Gandhi would be proud to know that his philosophy of life from India is going to be taken for good use in present day life. Really now! I hang my head in shame as a college student today.

Finally, this seriously scares me:

No comments: