Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A little fight in you, I like that...



As of right now, I'm totally obsessed in my mind with Wall-E. I mean, I'm reading as many reviews as I can, as many comments, hearing great opinions and having fantastic conversations. I can't wait until more people I know have seen it, so I can talk about it with them.

One thing is that I heard many comparisons to Modern Times. I've never seen Modern Times (a crime in itself I know) but I certainly get a bit of City Lights affect (my favorite Chaplin to date). I love the 2001 references. I live for them in fact. There are so many great moments in the film, I don't even know where to start. I definitely feel like I will need to see it again until I can officially compose my thoughts and write a pristine review.

I think the thing that draws me most to the film is how gutsy it is. I mean, it's in a class of it's own as far as how many risks it was willing to take. Yes it's slow. Yes it's silent. Yes there is live action. Yes it's politically correct. Yes it's a nontraditional love story. It's all the above and more but the thing that gets me is that near heartbreaking ending. I mean, woah. Talk about great film making. We haven't seen anything like it since Spielberg's ET. My one thought and almost regret about the film is a wonder about what if it would've went with that devastating finale. Of course, it's Disney and its for kids, so they made it safe. I completely understand that and I can't even hold it against the brilliant film. It's genius all around. But for one second, I think what if Wall-E never would have recognized Eve ever again? What kind of an impact would that have made. I certainly don't think kids would completely understand, but I think about it from a cinematic perspective and I just think how crazy it would've been. Would Eve have just followed Wall-E around heartbroken? I would like to think that even if he hadn't recognized her, he would eventually would've shown a hint of remembering if not completely. Like just that little ounce of hope is all we would've needed it.

These thoughts are just a little bit of what if.

I read a review about The Dark Knight and Hellboy 2 which I'm really looking forward to. It was one of the best reviews I ever read and one thing I want to quote that really got to me. I think it counts for Wall-E as an animation film and what other studios like Disney's animation and Dreamworks could do about it:

"Bottom line: these are films that are built to last. When someone says to me, “It’s just a comic book movie,” these are the films that make that statement pointless. Nothing has to be “just” a comic book movie or “just” a video game movie or “just” a remake or “just” a sequel. Every single time you set out to make a film, you have a chance to say something, a chance to genuinely affect your viewer. You don’t have to aim for “good enough.” Ambition is important, but HANCOCK proves that’s not enough. It’s ambition plus inspiration plus creative chemistry plus a little bit of dumb fucking luck that all come together to make movies like these. But the only reason they accomplish anything is because Christopher Nolan and Guillermo Del Toro and all the remarkable madmen they collaborated with in bringing them to the screen... they all dared to drop the word “just” from their vocabulary. They aimed for art. They aimed for pure enduring cinema.

And, good god, we are richer for it."

1 comment:

Something Jenna-ish said...

i'm confused that the blurb is about hancock. is it good? supposed to be? i guess if the cover art is anything like i robot i will certainly purchase it...big willie style.