Sunday, July 20, 2008

You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.


I wrote this review Friday night.


Its hour 36 since I’ve had a full night’s sleep and I’ve only had two hours of sleep since I’ve seen The Dark Knight. I went to the midnight screening. I got home around 4 in the morning only to have to get up at 6 and be in the city the morning. I have a heart monitor on, I had tests done, I went to work and I spend four long hours at a family member’s dinner party. Needless to say, the only thing left on my mind still is The Dark Knight – that is when I allow myself to focus.

Right now, I’m not even sure how I’m still functioning with 2 hours of sleep out of 36 and with eight wires hooked up to my chest. My head feels sort of like how the guy must have felt when the Joker showed him his “magic trick”. If you’ve seen The Dark Knight, you know what I’m talking about

Forget everything you’ve seen about the Dark Knight up until now. Ignore every trailer, clip or soundbite. Don’t even think about looking at the movie poster. Forget you even think you know what a Batman movie looks like or how you would never imagine a perfect one would be. The reason I tell you to just toss away those expectations is that you can’t even prepare. They will exceed them all. You may think you know how great this movie is, but you can’t possibly unless you witnessed it yourself.

I suppose that’s a conundrum for the review. How can you take this review seriously if I’m telling you to forget it? Well, it doesn’t matter if you read this, forget it after word because you have to see it for yourself. You have to see the Joker and what he’s all about.

First of all, Heath Ledger – wow. I mean, like I said, you can’t even imagine. I’ve seen the film and I still can’t wrap my head around how good he is. How many special moments there are in the film with him. Every second of the Joker is good. I’m pretty sure that every single take that Nolan did with Ledger as the Joker is perfect. I mean, I could’ve watched the same one scene with the Joker in it and it would’ve been mesmerizing. That’s it folks. Boys and Girls. One and all. You don’t need to look any further for a better performance out of a batman film, out of a single actor.

Aaron Eckhart is pitch perfect as Harvey Dent. I mean, this is a Harvey Dent film above even Joker or Batman. He’s the good face of Gotham, soon to be the real hero of the city. He’s the white knight, looking to change the wave of crime. He’s one step forward in a city that is corrupt and perhaps, one day, with him, you no longer need a batman. Dent’s an obviously complicated character. I heard one person say that Joker had no character depth. I wouldn’t agree but I would say that Nolan’s take on the Joker is more of a character study. The real change and heart of the story is Dent. The take on Two-Face is almost very bit as good as the Joker. He’s torn, he’s vengeful. He has his reasons, but the tragedy is that you feel for him. When he’s Two Face he’s just as manic and evil as Joker but at least he follows his own rules (the Joker has none) – the single flip of a coin proves he’s letting fate and chance choose for him. He’s no longer willing to accept any responsibility on his own. My only problem I had with Two Face is that I wish we had more time with him. It’s Harvey Dent’s movie so I wish we would’ve saved Two Face for a better half of a third movie.

Batman is sandwiched between two of the greatest villains in the history of comic books. This is a villain’s movie as much as the first movie was a Batman movie. Certainly, we get some great scenes with Bruce Wayne and some great action with Batman. The Dark Knight is more about Gotham than above all else. Bruce Wayne struggles with his symbol (like the first film) because now he has created something better than Bruce Wayne, bigger than Batman but something that affects the entire city. The first movie was a set up but this is the real movie Nolan wanted to make. He had to set up Batman’s character so he could fully develop how others are affected by it. It’s no longer Batman’s movie and Batman no longer belongs to Bruce Wayne – but for everyone. That’s what makes Batman’s character so good in this (and Bruce Wayne’s struggle realizes this). Batman has to be bigger than himself. He’s created chaos and he has to live with it.

The film is rather long and at one point I said it felt like three films put together with all that had happened. I still can’t believe that was all one film. It feels as long as it is, but that’s only because it carries so much weight. Nolan could have easily dragged it out but to make it stand on it’s own is every bit as perfect. This will be the Godfather 2 of comic book movies. I mean, there is nothing else that will compare. My one biggest concern is the “set up” for a sequel. It’s not nearly as clear as the ending of Begins. Nolan could easily stop right here and it wouldn’t matter. I don’t see him even finding a story as grand as this one. The ending writes a challenge. Something that I can’t imagine how one would tackle it but also intriguing to see where he could go. I have no idea what’s in store for the future of it.

The Dark Knight is one film that should be studied when making a modern film of any kind. Heath Ledger’s should have his name engraved into statues by this time next year and Nolan should be applauded by all as telling one of the best stories this decade as ever seen in a movie. All I know is that The Dark Knight not only leaves me feeling good about Batman, summer, comic books, action sequences, story telling, performances and directing - but about all movies of any kind in general. It's an incredible feeling when you walk out of something that reinvigorates what you love.

1 comment:

Something Jenna-ish said...

Well I absolutely loved the story of Batman Begins and almost wish I knew the history of the comic to have a comparison as to how the original writers wanted the story to turn. (that's what mike is for) But Dark Knight sounds crazy/mind blowing and I'm eager to experience it. Certain movies are like what they call "happenings" in the art world. They are just something you can't recreate at stand out as a moment in time.